Accelerated Grid Theming with NineSixty
NOTE: This session will be co-presented
with Todd Nienkerk of Four Kitchens.
This session will demonstrate the principles of grid-based theming and the NineSixty theme for Drupal. Subtheming NineSixty for rapid site design and deployment will be covered, as well as creating a custom grid system for any project.
- Brief history of grid-based design.
- Philosophy behind 960.gs + How it works.
- Basics of grid-based theming.
- How the NineSixty theme implements and expands on 960.gs.
- Content-ﬁrst layout using “push” and “pull” classes.
- Dynamic grid widths based on context.
- Debugging tools and grid visualization.
- Right-to-left (RTL) language support.
- Creating versatile, dynamic, and context-based layouts using NineSixty.
- Subtheming NineSixty.
- How to build your own, custom grid system.
Session goals include gaining a solid understanding of what grid design is, how it has evolved since its early beginnings in print, and how it can help expedite the design and templating process.